Since the ancient times, women have been using tampons to absorb blood from their menstrual flow and avoid getting humiliated in public. Of course, as centuries went by manufacturers began making napkins, which serve the same purpose – absorb the blood to prevent it from leaking to the outer clothing.
While this can be something women can get used to, it does not change the fact that napkins and tampons are not ideal for everyone. Fortunately, there is another option – introducing the menstrual cup.
Unlike the tampons, the silicone menstrual cup does not absorb the fluid but collect it. How does it do that? This cup for period is placed at the opening of the vagina, so all the blood does not leak out. Here are some simple reasons why a period cup is better than tampons or even napkins:
- Your skin will not be in contact with the fluid. Tampons and napkins may offer a solution to menstrual flow, but what they do is just absorb it. This cloth is still in contact with your vagina, and it may lead to irritation.
- Heavy flows may dampen the cloth, leaving a stain outside. Women understand that there are times where their menstrual flow is heavy. In such situations, the napkins or tampons may become damp, thus leaving a stain on their outer clothing.
- No need to buy over and over again. If you want to use a menstrual cup, you just have to buy a good brand and quality you can use it in the years to come. On the other hand, tampons and napkins are non-reusable, which means you need to buy every time you have your period.
These are just some of the practical reasons why it is better to use menstrual cups than the traditional tampons and napkins. However, women can still choose which one they would prefer.
If you have decided you want to get a period cup but you don’t know where to buy menstrual cups, here are some options:
- Physical pharmacies and drugstores in your area.
- Online stores and retailers
When choosing a menstrual cup, make sure that it is made out of medical grade silicone and not the cheaper ones. There are other types of silicone that may not be safe or cause irritation to your vagina. Pick a reliable and trusted brand so you can enjoy the benefits of using the period cup.